- Soak the beans in tap water overnight (it’s best to change the water a couple of times).
- Drain, rinse and place the beans in a large pot along with the star anise and the onion.
- Fill water to up 10 cm above the level of the beans and bring to a boil.
- Remove the foam and continue to cook for 35 minutes until the beans are soft but not falling apart.
- Remove from heat, and allow beans to cool in the cooking water.
- In a large bowl, mix crushed garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Add sugar (optional) and a bit of salt and mix.
- Add the onion and beans. Roughly chop the seaweed, add to the mixture and gently mix.
- Adjust seasoning to taste,
- Sprinkle the grated paprika and serve.